Completed

Remove dropdowns from toolbar buttons

Sergey Ivasenko 5 months ago • updated 2 weeks ago 9

SmartGit 17.1 Preview 13. Please, remove dropdowns from toolbar buttons. There is a menu for all commands, tollbar is only for most often used ones. Feature distracts a lot!

GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by Sergey Ivasenko 5 months ago

I've implemented that because it offers a quicker way to access certain commands/command variants. Except of OS X (which uses a native toolbar implementation) the dropdown menus are not easily triggerable by accident (small click area), but rather intended to be shown on long click.

There is still a chance, that you can click that drop-down and this is disturbing. It makes interface unclear and this element is not standard for toolbar buttons. Previously looked much better, in my POV...

Should I remove the drop-down-click area optionally, so it only can be triggered by long click?

I think it's a good solution. Or may be out could be configured... Thank you much!

Completed
Please try the latest intermediate build 11141 (Help | Check for Latest Build) and add following line to smartgit.properties:
smartgit.toolbar.longClickPopupOnly=true

I think I liked the dropdowns. Can't say if they how helpful they are, because they're too new and I'm not used to them yet.

I agree with post creator. I tried the latest version with "smartgit.toolbar.longClickPopupOnly=true", it works very bad (0.1 sec is not a "Long Click"; I use on Windows 7). Please make settings, where you can disable dropdowns,  because it's pretty frustrating when you need only Pull and Push, but have to press 2 times instead of one. Or make "Long Click" at starting at least from 0.5 sec or so, because my clicking triggers "Long Click" almost every time, which is also very frustrating. Thanks :)

We use the system specific hover-event that usually is used to show a tooltip.

On top I would add, that it would be nice to have the settings to enable/disable dropdown changed from UI.