Share your ideas on how to improve SmartGit!

This is no support platform! To report bugs or request support, please contact us directly. If in doubt ask us.

First search for a similar request and add your votes or comments there.

Take the time to describe your request as precise as possible, so users will understand what you want.

Follow the stackoverflow.com writing guidelines.

Thank you for your help!

Duplicate

Conflict Solver: allow to use both side changes

Lev Shisterov 7 years ago updated by Thomas Singer 7 years ago 1

When solving conflicts allow to select from: right, left, right before left, left before right.

This is the only thing I really miss in SmartGit after TortoiseGit.

Completed

Add option to automatically add the file name to the commit message

ishida 7 years ago updated 7 years ago 2

I find it useful to indicate at the start of the commit message which file has been changed, so that commit summaries, such as on the github home page, indicate which file a message refers to.

If a single flie is being committed, it would be useful to have a button or option to insert the file name of the file being committed at the beginning of the message box to save me typing it each time.

For example, my last commit message read:

vertical-text, adjustments after running all tests on latest browser

Declined

In log commits view, add a tooltip with branch name when hovering a branch line

Pierre Goiffon 7 years ago updated by Thomas Singer 7 years ago 5

This would be very useful, cause when you have much lines it's hard to understand what line stand for what branch.

If hovering is hard to implement, having a legend stating which color refers to which branch would be a good substitute.

Repository aliases to help create logical groups for multiple projects.

Lance Saleme 7 years ago updated 7 years ago 1

When there are multiple projects that share common code repositories, but also have unique component repositories, it would be helpful to create a project Group with an alias (single or multiple) to a shared repository. The logical grouping of the repositories under a given project would simply mass-pulls and status checks, but keep a single cloned instance of any shared repositories.

Declined

Windows: Start menu entry for the x64 application

Christian Ullrich 7 years ago updated by Thomas Singer 7 years ago 1

The Windows installer creates a start menu entry for the x86 wrapper application, but not for the x64 one. This is inconvenient when only a 64-bit JRE is installed. Please create entries for both versions.

Completed

Reverting commit should show "Revert: <reverted commit message>" like old versions

Parvinder Singh 7 years ago updated by Alexander Zhezherun 7 years ago 6

Current builds show (reverted from commit....) at end of the commit message

i want an option to show that commit is reverted in 1st line as:

Revert: <reverted commit message>

this was present in older builds.... how to reactivate it ?

Column Last Changed On logic

Roland Bengtsson 7 years ago updated 7 years ago 0

Currently the grid column "Last changed on" simply show the file datestamp from filesystem when it was last changed. I think it would be more logical to show the timestamp for last commit

Completed

Single Instance option

Daniel B. 7 years ago updated by Thomas Singer 7 years ago 6

The basic idea is to provide an option to force smartgit to a single instance. The basic use case behind this idea is to open git folders with smartgit via context menu out of a file manager (e.g. with ubuntu nautilus file manager right click on git folder and open with smartgit). Over this way the file manager passes the folder path to smartgit and I don't need to add the repository manually in smartgit.

Currently smartgit opens foreach folder that I open over this way an new instance - that's confusing.

Completed

Add command to ignore files in only in local repository

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara 7 years ago updated by Thomas Singer 7 years ago 1

Git allows to ignore files only in local repository

Basically add the ability to accomplish the following command through the GUI:

git update-index --assume-unchanged -- file1 file2

The opposite command should be also available:

git update-index --no-assume-unchanged [<file> ...]

Retain column order after hiding a column when showing it again

ck05 7 years ago updated 7 years ago 1

I'd like to suggest that SmartGit retains the position (and also the size) of a column, after it has been hidden, when it is selected again.

E.g. if I hide the 'relative path column' positioned after the name field and then show it again, it is added at the end of the columns. It would be more useful if it would stay where I put it. That way it would be easy to quickly hide columns that are not useful for the current task and are just taking space, and enable them later when they become useful again.