SmartGit's current memory usage is fairly excessive. In our 257,000 file repo, here's what I'm seeing when launching SmartGit64.exe without smartgit.vmoptions file:
- 380 MB: sitting idle at the "Welcome to SmartGit!" dialog before selecting a repo
- 816 MB: sitting idle after selecting repo and letting initial refresh complete
- 860 MB: after opening a log window and then closing it
- 952 MB: after opening a second repo in the same SmartGit instance, opening a log window and closing it
- 952 MB: after closing the second repo and using Debug->Run GC a few times
- At this point the "SmartGit is close to the configured memory limit" dialog pops up
In the past I've used the -Xmx2300m vm option to avoid the memory limit warning, but then SmartGit uses up closer to 2GB of RAM in normal usage (and "Run GC" does nothing to lower it).
This is a lot of memory to give up just to use source control, especially on the VMs we use for development. Would it be possible to do a pass to see if there's any unnecessarily large data structures or redundant data that could be de-duplicated?
Customer support service by UserEcho